Conclusions 3rd International Congress of Physical Education Cyprus
Cypriot Association of Physical Education 3rd International Congress of Physical Education “ The effect of exercise-physical education on health and its impact on economy and society”
Based on the oral presentations and the existing research data which were presented on the 3rd International Congress of Physical Education on the 24th and 25th of June in Nikosia and Limassol, the following conclusions were reached:
1. Hypokinetic disease has been in the forefront for decades and despite its culmination after the year 2000, it has not been coped with by the competent bodies at either the governmental or at the European level.
2. The health and social care cost associated with the hypokinetic disease is higher than the cost associated with sports investments and orginizing or reinforcing sports for all.
3. Health care cost spent for hypokinetic people (e.g., those who do not exercise at all) is as double as the corresponding cost spent for those who exercise regularly.
4. Upgrading the conditions and creating opportunities for participation in physical activity and exercise will have beneficial effects on health, personality, psychological state and total economic cost of the side-effects of hypokinetic disease.
5. In particular, based on the recommendations made by the Euroean Union, daily physical activity at all levels of education should be established. In this way the prerequisites for raising the levels of physical fitness will be met.
6. Employing physical educations teachers at all levels of education will contribute to reducing the health care and social cost of hypokinetic disease.
7. It is imperative that economic resourses should be reserved for reinforcing exercise and physical education programs and daily physical education at schools, supporting sport scientists, better sport facilities, and research.
8. The above conclusions represent a challenge directed towards those who are accountable, at a provincial, governmental and European level, for coping with problems associated with the hypokinetic disease and for making relevant decisions.